Friday, November 19, 2010

and then...

Just an update... Journaling

Today was supposed to be Kevin's cataract surgery. I got calls from several people telling me it was canceled. Dr. Larson has called me personally several times today. Apparently the anesthesiologist working at the Riverton hospital today is worried that Kevin's recent UTI may mean he'll react badly and need to stay overnight. Riverton is not equipped for an overnight stay. We could do the surgery today at Primary Childrens in Salt Lake but Dr. Larson strongly recommends we do it at Riverton hospital because the equipment is so much newer and nicer. In order to do it at Riverton we have to wait for an anesthesioligist who is on board with putting him under. We don't want to wait long because Kevin is already starting to use his one good eye so much and leaving the bad eye behind.
The plan has changed a few times but the new date is Wednesday. This is the day before Thanksgiving which means we will have to go back in on Thanksgiving for a quick check up on the eye. I think this shows a lot of dedication on Dr. Larson's part that he is willing to work on Thanksgiving and I'm willing to do anything to get this done.

I was prescribed the low dose of antibiotics by Kevin's usual doctor as a way to prevent future UTIs. This is common for children with VUR (the bladder reflux.) I've been opposed to the idea of living on antiobiotics from the moment I heard it. My doctor referred me to talk to urology about all my questions he couldn't answer so I'm going to talk to them about the VUR on Dec. 8th. I didn't fill the prescription but Dr. Larson wants me to as a precaution for now because we can't have another UTI get in the way of the surgery again. Uhg!

I'm exhausted. Between being sick, having a sick family, surgery worries, and not having answers to my questions about VUR I haven't been sleeping well. I want to do what's best for Kevin. I have since before he was conceived. What that is hasn't always been clear.

Ryan doesn't work for Riser anymore. The position they were trying to invent for him was really not what they needed as a company right now. If they ever get into video though, they know who to call. This may be a blessing because HOPEFULLY he'll finish his STUPID degree. I resent it. (I've been a widow for far too long!) He is still taking on freelance work and I'm hoping he doesn't let it get in the way of finishing. He's postponed graduation so many times now. He just has the final class left but it's a big deal. It's essentially turning in his thesis.
I think subconsciously Ryan is afraid to finish school... he has no idea what exactly he is going to do with the degree. Whether or not he finds a job those payments on $30,000 in tuition loans are going to smack us.
On top of school loans did I mention that hospitals, doctors, and surgeries usually come with a hefty price tag? I've heard that primary childrens has a lot of financial assistance options so hopefully we qualify for a little of that.

All I know is I can't wait for Thanksgiving. Nothing like a day with family to make life great!

No comments: